We’ll be happy to advise you about the benefits of electric toothbrushes.
At Kotis Family Dentistry, one of the most common questions we get asked during routine dental cleanings and exams is whether a manual toothbrush is sufficient or if you should consider one of the electric toothbrushes on the market. While we will take into consideration your specific situation and the results of your exam to give you a specific recommendation, we do believe that electric toothbrushes offer enough added benefits to make them a good choice for most people.
- Plaque Removal: Both oscillating and vibrating electric toothbrushes do a superior job at reducing plaque and gingivitis, although oscillating ones do marginally better. In general, you can expect about a 20% reduction in plaque after three months of using an electric toothbrush.
- Mobility Concerns: If you have difficulty brushing your teeth because of arthritis, carpal tunnel or a developmental disability, you’ll find it easier to use electric toothbrushes.
- Improved Focus: It can be easy to do a precursory, and therefore ineffective, brushing with a manual toothbrush. However, with built-in timers, electric toothbrushes keep you at it longer and more focused on what you are doing.
- Kids Love Them! You might avoid the glum look when you tell your children it is time to brush their teeth if they have electric toothbrushes. In fact, they may do it several times a day without you needing to remind them at all.
- Best with Orthodontics: If you have an orthodontic appliance, such as braces, you may find it easier to keep them clean with electric toothbrushes.
If you would like to know more about the benefits of electric toothbrushes so you can make this decision for yourself and your family, don’t hesitate to contact us or bring it up during your next appointment at our Statesville, North Carolina dental office.