As you age, your teeth and oral health needs change, making it more important than ever to stay committed to taking good care of your teeth and gums. At Kotis Family Dentistry, we know that proper oral health is a lifelong commitment, and we want to give you a few quick dental tips that can make all the difference when it comes to the health of your teeth and gums throughout your lifetime:
- Brush for two minutes twice a day—How long do you actually spend brushing your teeth? While brushing is good in and of itself, it really makes a difference in how long you brush. Commit to taking a full two minutes twice a day to brush your teeth for better results.
- The right toothbrush matters-–Use a soft-bristled toothbrush that fits your mouth comfortably to brush, and don’t forget to change it out with a new one approximately every three months. The toothpaste you use matters, too – choose a kind that has fluoride in it to protect your teeth.
- Brush the right way—The way you brush matters – position your toothbrush at a slight angle, aiming the bristles at the point where your gums and teeth join together. Use circular motions as you brush and refrain from scrubbing too hard.
- Fight bacteria by flossing—We may sound like a broken record, but one of the top dental tips we can give you is to floss! Plus, as long as you are thorough, you can either brush or floss first, depending on your preferences.
- See a dentist regularly—Make sure you come to our office on a regular basis for thorough cleanings and x-rays. At your appointments, we can also give you additional dental tips for protecting your teeth and gum health on a long-term basis.