Here at Kotis Family Dentistry, we are dedicated to staying on top of the dental industry and embracing innovative products and techniques that improve dental care for our patients. In many cases, what is new to this country has been in use elsewhere in the world for far longer, and those techniques and technologies are especially interesting to us because they have a history of success backing them. One such development is the use of silver diamine fluoride in the treatment of cavities. It was approved for use here by the FDA in August 2014, although it has been used for several decades elsewhere. It has gained favor for a variety of reasons. If you have a cavity you’ve been putting off getting a filling for, we’re happy to discuss this course of action with you.
- No Drilling Needed- Silver diamine fluoride is brushed directly onto the cavity, halting its ability to decay the tooth.
- No Filling Needed- The use of silver diamine fluoride means a filling compound isn’t necessary, which may not be long-lasting or have the appearance that the patient desires.
- Kills Pathogenic Organisms- There is no doubt about even a trace of these organisms surviving to cause further problems down the road.
- Makes Tooth More Durable- The application of silver diamine fluoride makes your tooth more resistant to abrasion and acidic foods and beverages.
- Immediate Sensitivity Relief- The patient enjoys instantaneous relief from dental hypersensitivity.
- Provides Insight into Dental Problems- Silver diamine fluoride stains lesions that might have gone unnoticed so that they can be resolved.
- Painless Approach- While the traditional cavity treatment is not excessively painful in most cases, the application of silver diamine fluoride renders no discomfort of any kind.
- Affordable- This treatment is more affordable than drilling and filling.
- Quicker- Your cavity will be resolved in a fraction of the time that traditional cavity treatment requires.