As we age, it is a natural process for our teeth to begin to yellow. Our enamel breaks down over time and unfortunately, does not grow back. The good news is there are things you can do now to slow the process and strengthen your enamel to keep those teeth looking pearly bright. Here are five easy steps you can take now to whiten your teeth:
- Prevent discoloration by avoiding food and drink that could stain your teeth. Typical culprits include coffee, soda, and red wine. Limit your intake of sugary foods as the sugar will encourage bacterial growth inside your mouth, leading to plaque build-up and yellowing of the teeth.
- Take measures to strengthen your enamel. You can do this by increasing your calcium intake using fluoride (either by topical application at the dentist or having it in your drinking water) and avoiding vigorous brushing.
- Maintain a regular regimen of brushing and flossing. Plaque buildup can cause tooth discoloration so if you want to whiten your teeth, you better get rid of that plaque!
- Try natural remedies like brushing with baking soda. Baking soda has some natural whitening properties and its abrasiveness can work to get rid of staining on the surface of your teeth. Mix baking soda with water to form a paste and apply with your toothbrush a few times per week.
- If you are still unhappy with your results and would like something stronger to whiten teeth, contact us to talk about your options. We are experienced in teeth whitening and we can help you decide what is best for you and your teeth.